Travel Accident Group Insurance
Back to Documentation
RBC ® Visa Infinite * Avion ® Travel Accident Insurance Certificate
This Certificate contains limitations of coverage. It should be read carefully, kept in a safe place and carried with you when you travel.
This Certificate is effective July 28, 2008 and is furnished to you, the Cardholder .
Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company (herein called the "Insurer")
having issued Policy No. BR0001 (herein called the "Policy") to Royal Bank of Canada ® ("Royal Bank"), the Cardholder of an RBC Visa Infinite * Avion ® card is eligible for coverage under the Policy. An Covered person shall be covered whenever his/her transportation fare for a Trip on a Common Carrier has been charged to the Cardholder's account and/or paid with his/her RBC Rewards ® points prior to any Injury resulting in loss for which claim is made, under the Policy. Any such Trip shall herein be considered a covered Trip for the Covered person.
Italicized terms are defined in this section of the Certificate. Wherever used in this Certificate.
"Accident" means any bodily Injury. certified by a Physician. due to sudden and unforeseen external causes resulting directly and independently of any other cause.
"Applicant" means a person who has signed and submitted an application as the applicant for an RBC Visa Infinite Avion card and in whose name the card account is established.
"Card" means an RBC Visa Infinite Avion card.
"Common Carrier" means any land, air or water conveyance for regular passenger service, which is licensed to transport passengers for compensation or hire.
"Cardholder" means any person (includes applicants. co-applicants and authorized users) to whom Royal Bank has issued a Card .
"Dependent Child" means a natural or adopted child, stepchild or foster child who resides with and is dependent upon the Cardholder for support and who is over 15 days of age and under 18 years of age, or 24 years of age or under if he is a full-time student at an education institution accredited by the appropriate authorities. Any mentally or physically handicapped child who, upon reaching the maximum age and thereafter, is incapable of self-sustaining employment and totally relies upon the Cardholder for support and maintenance, will also be covered.
"Hospital" means a facility licensed as a Hospital under legislation in effect in the country where it is located.
"Injury" means bodily Injury to the Covered person caused by an Accident occurring while this Certificate is in force. This Injury is the basis of claim and results directly and independently of all other causes, provided it is sustained under the circumstances and in the manner described in the section entitled "Coverage A."
"Covered person" means the applicant. his/her spouse or dependent child. A co-applicant or an authorized user to whom the Royal Bank has issued a Card is an Covered person in his/her own right. A co-applicant's or authorized user's Spouse or Dependent Child is not eligible for this insurance. All Covered persons
must be Permanent Resident of Canada.
"Member of the Immediate Family" means the Spouse. parents, children, brothers, sisters or grandparents of the Cardholder.
"Permanent Resident" means a person who resides in Canada for at least 6 months of the year. However, individuals otherwise eligible for coverage who are members of the Canadian Foreign Service need not satisfy this requirement.
"Spouse" means either:
- the individual to whom the Cardholder is legally married; or
- a person who cohabits on a continuous basis with the Cardholder in a relationship of a conjugal nature which has been publicly recognized as such for at least one year.
"Trip" means travel away from the Covered person's residence. The travel cost must have been paid with the Card and/or with RBC Rewards points. If only a partial payment is made with RBC Rewards points, the balance must be paid by the Card to be effective.
The hazards covered under the Policy are Injuries sustained during a Trip by an Covered person while and as a result of:
- an Accident which occurs while the Covered person is riding as a passenger in or on, boarding or alighting from a Common Carrier which is providing the transportation for his/her covered Trip. or
- being struck by such Common Carrier. or
- an Accident which occurs while the Covered person is riding as a passenger in or on, boarding or alighting from a Common Carrier which is providing alternate transportation:
- which was a covered Trip for the Covered person. and
- which was delayed or re-routed, requiring the carrier which would have operated the Common Carrier to arrange for such alternate transportation, or
- being struck by a conveyance providing alternate transportation such as described above.
- an Accident which occurs while the Covered person is riding as a passenger in a Common Carrier (limited to ground transportation only) when the Covered person is going directly to or from the passenger terminal for the purpose of boarding or disembarking from a Common Carrier providing transportation for the Covered person's covered Trip. The fare for such Common Carrier travel need not be charged to the Card .
- an Accident sustained by the Covered person while he/she is at or on any passenger terminal immediately before or immediately after his/her covered Trip .
It is expressly understood and agreed that unless specifically stated otherwise, coverage under the Policy is valid only if the Covered person's fare for a Trip on a Common Carrier has been charged to the Card and/or paid with RBC Rewards points prior to any Injury resulting in a loss for which claim is made under the Policy. Any such Trip shall herein be considered a covered Trip for the Covered person .